Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:36:15 -0500
From:      Lee Dilkie <lee@dilkie.com>
To:        freebsd-geom <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gmirror question, drive missing

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping freebsd-goem is the correct place for this question.

I had a server crash that had a gmirror array of two drives. It was my
bootable disk and it failed in such a way that it wouldn't recover
without swapping cables.

So the original gmirror, gm0, had /dev/ad10 and /dev/ad11 as providers.

Now, gmirror shows.

$ gmirror status gm0
      Name    Status  Components
mirror/gm0  DEGRADED  ad10

$ gmirror list gm0
Geom name: gm0
State: DEGRADED
Components: 2
Balance: round-robin
Slice: 4096
Flags: NONE
GenID: 1
SyncID: 2
ID: 1837199655
Providers:
1. Name: mirror/gm0
   Mediasize: 1000204885504 (931G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r5w5e6
Consumers:
1. Name: ad10
   Mediasize: 1000204886016 (931G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r1w1e1
   State: ACTIVE
   Flags: DIRTY
   GenID: 1
   SyncID: 2
   ID: 3835414526

no mention of /dev/ad11 at all.

however, I can dump the metadata and it's there, as far as I can tell.

$ gmirror dump /dev/ad11
Metadata on /dev/ad11:
     magic: GEOM::MIRROR
   version: 4
      name: gm0
       mid: 1837199655
       did: 1856327785
       all: 2
     genid: 0
    syncid: 2
  priority: 0
     slice: 4096
   balance: round-robin
 mediasize: 1000204885504
sectorsize: 512
syncoffset: 0
    mflags: NONE
    dflags: DIRTY
hcprovider:
  provsize: 1000204886016
  MD5 hash: 5ac5a19c7e0b99b4852ba535297d413a

and the working, ad10...

$ gmirror dump /dev/ad10
Metadata on /dev/ad10:
     magic: GEOM::MIRROR
   version: 4
      name: gm0
       mid: 1837199655
       did: 3835414526
       all: 2
     genid: 1
    syncid: 2
  priority: 0
     slice: 4096
   balance: round-robin
 mediasize: 1000204885504
sectorsize: 512
syncoffset: 0
    mflags: NONE
    dflags: DIRTY
hcprovider:
  provsize: 1000204886016
  MD5 hash: 13cc9220591eb360cbdaea72edbe87d9

so what's happened? Do I simply perform a "gmirror insert gmo /dev/ad11"
to re-setup the mirror or should something else be done?

BTW, when I performed all my failure mode tests before, I never saw a
provider disappear, gmirror simply rebuilt the array when the disk was
plugged in. And I did move disks around the sata cables so they were
both masters instead of the master/slave I had originally used with the
mirror was set up, so I don't *think* swapping the sata cables did this
but....

TIA,

-lee