Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:50:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many open files in System!

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Andrew N. Edmond wrote:

> /* text cut and pasted below */
>
> > To answer your question: you must increase all of these values,
> > and if you are using select, #define FD_SETSIZE higher in your
> > application before including <sys/types.h>.
>
> Thanks for the great answer Terry, Cliff and ahem... Jordan :-)
>
> In any case, the sysctl settings worked great, messed with login.conf some
> as well, and the #define FD_SETSIZE works great.... except with...
> mit-pthreads.
>
> mit-pthreads is puking everytime I try to set the FD_SETSIZE (yes, before
> <sys/types.h>), and even when I go into the pthreads source and try to
> change that version of FD_SETSIZE, it's still puking at a value of 1024.
> At 256 it works fine.  Any ideas?

You would have to clarify what you mean by "puking".

Does pthreads not compile?

Does it compile and not work?

Does it compile and work but your program doesn't work?

Note that anything using the name resolver in 2.2 will have trouble with
fds above what FD_SETSIZE is set to when libc is compiled.  This is fixed
in 3.0, but the fix hasn't been brought into 2.2.