Date:      Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:13:28 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   lagg Interfaces - don't do Gratuitous ARP?

Hi,

We've just changed the network config on a box - going from a single 'em1'
adapter to a lagg failover of em0, em1.

This works - but we noticed after the machine rebooted, we couldn't ping it
from other hosts.

Checking on other machines on the LAN they still had an ARP entry for the
changed hosts old em1's MAC.

On the lagg machine - the MAC used for the NIC's (and lagg) was now the MAC
for em0 (which I believe is correct behaviour).

Should the act of lagg / IP's coming up not send a gratuitous ARP for them
or something to avoid this?

As it was we had to log into a number of key boxes and 'arp -d' the IP's -
and take a ~800 second 'hit' on other boxes timing out the old MAC.

-Karl