Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 18:06:55 -0500
From:      Matt Gostick <matt@crazylogic.net>
To:        Ishmael <ishmael@tranquility.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modem volume control

Ishmael wrote:

> im using userland ppp for a dialup connection and was wondering how i
> would configure the ppp.conf script to turn down the volume on an
> internal isa modem (specically a 3com USR 56K Faxmodem).
>
> Jeremy

In my ppp.conf file I have:

 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
           OK-AT-OK ATL1 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

The ATL1 is the init string.  The AT is always there no matter
what.  So if I wanted to set flags L0 and M3 I would put ATL0M3.

From my trusty USR 56K voice faxmodem reference manual:

Ln	Controls speaker volume (internals only)
	L0	Low volume
	L1	Low volume
	L2	Medium volume (default)
	L3	High volume