Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 19:32:29 -0700
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@gilmore.nas.nasa.gov>
To:        brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory init pattern

Brian Litzinger writes:
>> >Hey, I'm not suggesting filling memory with zeros or all "U"s (ala WATFIV),
>> >just pick something that doesn't mean anything in any language or culture.
>> >Save the FreeBSD PR people some headaches later.  (I agree - we do have
>> >enough controversy now just with the daemon logo unfortunately.)

>I agree with the original posters sentiment.

>If FreeBSD wants to be taken seriously in the business community,
>which I sincerely hope it does and would like to help in making it so,
>it has to "play the game", by the rules the game is played by.

Just as a data point on the "business community," when I worked for Control
Data, about 15 years ago, their Cyber 200 series computers would display a
32-bit hex number on the system console when they crashed.  The two most
frequent were DEADBEEF and DEADCACA.  They were all in the DEAD0000 to
DEADFFFF range and were known as "dead codes."

Course, CDC may not be the best precedent to follow for commercial success.