Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:53:14 +0800
From:      "Ho Seng Yip" <hsengyip@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Perl and Apache

Hi,

I am quite a newbie at Unix and am currently running FreeBSD 3.1, so I hope
someone can help me over here. I have just downloaded 'Perl 5.002' from the
FreeBSD website and it comes in this form 'perl5.tar'. May I know how I will
be able to un-archive the file and install Perl onto my system ?

I have also installed Apache 1.3.4 from the Cd-Rom, everything works fine,
but I will like to enable user directories. For example, if I have a user
directory, '/home/dan/public_html' and will like a request,
'http://www.domain.com/~dan' to be able to load the 'index.html' file from
the user's 'public_html' directory. How will I be able to do that ? I have
looked into the 'httpd.conf' file and have uncommented the chunk of lines
that  starts with something like '<Directory /home/*/public_html>' but it
still does not work as my web browsers tells me that access is forbidden. Do
I have to edit some more things ?

Hope to receive some replies soon.

Thanks.

Regards,