Date:      Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:08:03 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/163727: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate rc.d boot script cannot be disabled

On Dec 30, 2011, at 11:58 PM, <dougb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Old Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate RCNG boot script cannot be dis=
abled
> New Synopsis: [rc.d] [patch] The mountlate rc.d boot script cannot be dis=
abled
>=20
> State-Changed-From-To: open->closed

Should I take this one to the forums to get a wider consensus?

Because everybody in the community I talk to agrees with me -- in the sense=
 that mountlate should be abled to be disabled for those that desire-to.

> State-Changed-By: dougb
> State-Changed-When: Sat Dec 31 07:54:00 UTC 2011
> State-Changed-Why:=20
>=20
> 1. What you're talking about is an extreme edge case.

I completely disagree.

About 10 years ago, our company paid into the FreeBSD community tens-of-tho=
usands of dollars to make certain that NFS was both rock-stable and could b=
e used as a production platform.

Now, we're seeing that NFS is a second-class citizen (only that it is curre=
ntly _impossible_ without modification of the FreeBSD system to have even o=
ne single NFS mount in your fstab(5) without risking certain eventual death=
 for, being dropped into single-user mode).

The fact of the matter is that we use NFS to "band" our BSD systems togethe=
r and without any modification to the FreeBSD system, we've identified no l=
ess than a half-dozen cases (that are _not_ extreme in any way) where the s=
ystem boots into single-user mode.

But then again, I'm sure that you'll tell me that a simple power-outage is =
"extreme" -- in which case, even a power-outage can cause several hundreds =
of machines to boot into single-user mode simply because there was a race-c=
ondition between which machines would have DNS, which machines would have t=
heir "companion PC's" boot just a smidge slower than the machines that moun=
t-them.

> If you can't figure
> out how to properly configure these systems,

We're resorting to insults now? Gee, thanks!

> then simply removing the script
> from /etc/rc.d is enough.

You reject my patch and tell me to "simply remov[e] the script". This confu=
ses me. I would have in all earnest thought this was not a possible outcome=
. But hey... I guess that (removing the script) works too, just hadn't thou=
ght of it.

I'd still rather see the community embrace this simple patch. After-all, wh=
at's the harm if some administrator wants to disable this script? Like you =
say... deleting the script works too. But,... after deletion one cannot jus=
t "simply change his mind" ... as he now has to scp the script out from ano=
ther box (which hopefully there's a copy lying around somewhere).

I think making the script toggle-able is better than just killing it (which=
 is dirty as it leavers no easy way to turn it back on; in a general sense).

>=20
> 2. Don't attempt to mount critical remote file systems using DNS names.

It doesn't matter if you use DNS names or not. If you don't use DNS names, =
then the box can still drop to single-user mode if the destination is not m=
ountable. This can occur for example in a power-outage and the machines are=
 not brought up in the right order or there is a momentary lapse caused by =
different boot-speeds of different hardware.

Trust me doug, we've been battling these cases for months.

The tiny two-line patch that is required to make mountlate toggle-able seem=
s to be the "least evil" -- that is, including comparison to "simply removi=
ng the script" which in itself seems evil.

> This
> has been true for as long as I can remember.=20

That may be so, but we at VICOR have the distinct impression that somewhere=
 along the line between FreeBSD-4 (where we were extremely active -- hostin=
g FreeBSD release parties at our office, contributing daily both monetarily=
 and code-wise back when 3 committers were actively employed here) and -CUR=
RENT, that NFS was made a "second-class citizen".

Back in the FreeBSD-4 days, we would have never imagined EVER making NFS cr=
itical to boot into single-user mode, because we know that NFS fails all th=
e time and furthermore, we expect to SSH in and execute "mount -a" to fix t=
he problem.

Mind you, I do see that there are a LOT of mechanisms for indicating via co=
nfiguration that some network filesystem ought not to be critical to bootin=
g into multi-user mode, but in practice, not a damned one of them works. I'=
ve raised patches to fix "bg", I've raised patches to fix "late", and I've =
even suggested now that the "mountlate" mechanism be able to be disabled if=
-so-desired.

The net-effect to all of this, is that we feel that the community is active=
ly trying to prevent progress-forward in finding a way to prevent a network=
 filesystem from hanging the boot process, and we can't figure out WHY!!??

It's feeling like it's time to take this one to the forums.

>=20
> 3. If you have critical remote systems that you can't afford to have hang
> in single user mode, put a serial console on them.

That's tantamount to a mandate to force our customers to build-out infrastr=
ucture that they currently (a) do not have and (b) do not desire.

Furthermore, we can't force our customers to do anything. If they say "no" =
to serial consoles, we can't force them.

That puts us in the unfortunate circumstance where we employ a field engine=
er that could gladly fix the problem remotely at 2AM via logging into sshd =
running in multi-user mode but alas... the system is stuck in single-user m=
ode so the field engineer has to be dispatched at 2AM to go type a couple c=
ommands (which seems ridiculous).

>=20
> Meta-notes:
>=20
> 1. I obeyed your disclaimer text

I can't send e-mail without that being appended. I suggest you simply ignor=
e it (the e-mail was directly addressed to the Gnats system and therefore t=
he contents were _meant_ to be digested).

> and removed the second patch that you sent.
>=20
> 2. It hasn't been "rcng" for a long time now. The preferred term is rc.d.

Thanks.

>=20
>=20
> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-rc->dougb
> Responsible-Changed-By: dougb
> Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Dec 31 07:54:00 UTC 2011
> Responsible-Changed-Why:=20
>=20
> I'm closing this.

Don't be surprised if it gets re-submitted.

>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D163727

--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.