Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:42:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: RAID5

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Chris BeHanna wrote:

>    AFAIK, there are no IDE RAID cards that support RAID-5.  You are
>stuck with RAID 0, 1 or 10.  Although these are just fine for what
>they are, they don't do what RAID-5 does.  RAID-10 is an acceptable
>substitute for RAID-5 if you have the money for the spare spindles.

Both Promise and Adaptec now have out IDE RAID5 cards.  Check their
respective websites.  I don't know about the state of support for
either.  You likely need to ask Mike Smith.  As for my preferred
solution we use the Arena II external IDE RAID boxes from Maxtronic.
They're available through RaidWeb and StorNet off the top of my head.
They do RAID 0,1,10,5 with up to 128MB of SDRAM cache, redundant hotswap
power supplies and the IDE drives are hot swappable with online rebuild
of the array.  It's like buying a really expensive SCSI RAID solution
but then being able to put 100GB IDE drives in it.  The hardware isn't
as cheap as a PCI card, but we've found it worth it.  Plus it's OS
independent since it appears simply as a large SCSI drive to the OS.

--
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a
law against it by that time."	-- /usr/games/fortune, 07/30/2001

Brandon D. Valentine <bandix at looksharp.net>