Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 22:34:22 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NCR driver timeout?

On Jan 14, 13:07, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} >Well, sorry, those 1.6 seconds are already
} >the maximum supported by the NCR hardware ...
}
} You could easily count the number of handshake timeouts in the driver and
} make the interval a multiple of what the NCR supports.  I don't see the
} value of a handshake timeout anyway since the SCSI spec doesn't place any
} lower bounds on communication speed, and you should be using the timeout
} value that was passed down to you in the scsi_xfer struct as an overall
} timeout value.

Well, most devices will not require 1.6s for a single
bus transaction (locking out all other devices ...).

I know about the command timeout, and I'm really not
sure, whether the 1.6s timeout should be there too.
But then, I'm seeng SCSI as a shared access bus, and
I do expect a device to disconnect, if it won't have
any data to send for more than a few milliseconds.

The handshake timeout helps diagnose error situations,
since I know, at which NCR instruction the lockup
occured. I'm not sure whether it is possible to break
a lock without loosing that information, if only a
command timeout is used. I'll have to look into this.

Regards, STefan