Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 00:58:41 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INRIA IPv6 on FreeBSD

On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 11:24:37AM +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav  wrote:
> My position on this is that if you consider IPv6 as a new, separate
> protocol (as I do) then it should go into a separate directory. If you
> consider it as an update of an older protocol, it should go into the
> same directory.

In a sense, it's both of these at the same time :-)
The IP part is brand new, the TCP and UDP parts are mostly identical
to IPv4.

For /usr/include this doesn't make much of a difference anyway,
except philosophical and practical for the applications programmer.

For the kernel (/sys/netinet), this does make much of a difference
in implementation modularity. My feeling is that, ideally, tcp_*.c
and udp_*.c source files should be shared, but it's easier said
than done. If they are not shared, this duplicates any maintenance
work we have to do on these protocols.

The latest INRIA IPv6 for NetBSD mentions that they now share the
TCP source files. I don't know to what extent or exactly how this
is achieved, but I like that.
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher