Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:41:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        Alexander Coers <alexander.coers@gmx.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Fixed virtual box driver (drm_v5.4.144_6), sort of

------=_Part_131_985937622.1648028482109

=20
Van: Alexander Coers <alexander.coers@gmx.de>
Datum: zondag, 20 maart 2022 16:20
Aan: "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org>
Onderwerp: Fixed virtual box driver (drm_v5.4.144_6), sort of
>=20
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> Since I wanted to know how all things are working out between FreeBSD, DR=
M and Linux, I skimmed through the source and tested a lot with FBSD13 runn=
ing in Virtual Box 6.x on FBSD13 host. Now I fixed the Makefiles and found =
the issue for the kernel panic which happens directly after loading the vbo=
x DRM driver.
> Within X11 everything looks now okay, multiple monitors as well as differ=
ent resolutions work, but in the console there is still a bug making it unu=
sable:
> You can=E2=80=99t see any output, the console is frozen. If you force the=
 repaint of the virtual machine window (moving other windows around or open=
 the =E2=80=9Eabout dialog=E2=80=9C of Virtual Box), the output is drawn. S=
o console works, but the framebuffer output seems to have issues.
> Do you have an idea where I could look to fix this issue? Is there any mo=
re documentation on how DRM works?
> Also, how should I provide the fix? Diff here in the list, or PR in Githu=
b?
>=20
> Best,
>  Alexander
>=20
> =20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Hi,

This sounds very promising. I think you can ask the maintainer of VirtualBo=
x how to proceed with this: vbox@FreeBSD.org. Or is the driver not in the V=
irtualBox source.
See: https://www.freshports.org/emulators/virtualbox-ose/

A possibility is to create a PR in https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/, but =
I'm not authoritative in development of the virtualbox software on FreeBSD.=
 ;-)

Regards,
Ronald.
=20
------=_Part_131_985937622.1648028482109

/>
<strong>Aan:</strong> &quot;freebsd-x11@freebsd.org&quot; &lt;freebsd-x11@F=
reeBSD.org&gt;<br />
<strong>Onderwerp:</strong> Fixed virtual box driver (drm_v5.4.144_6), sort=
 of</p>

x; border-left: #000000 2px solid; margin-right: 0px">
Since I wanted to know how all things are working out between FreeBSD, DRM =
and Linux, I skimmed through the source and tested a lot with FBSD13 runnin=
g in Virtual Box 6.x on FBSD13 host. Now I fixed the Makefiles and found th=
e issue for the kernel panic which happens directly after loading the vbox =
DRM driver.<br />
Within X11 everything looks now okay, multiple monitors as well as differen=
t resolutions work, but in the console there is still a bug making it unusa=
ble:<br />
You can=E2=80=99t see any output, the console is frozen. If you force the r=
epaint of the virtual machine window (moving other windows around or open t=
he =E2=80=9Eabout dialog=E2=80=9C of Virtual Box), the output is drawn. So =
console works, but the framebuffer output seems to have issues.<br />
Do you have an idea where I could look to fix this issue? Is there any more=
 documentation on how DRM works?<br />
Also, how should I provide the fix? Diff here in the list, or PR in Github?=
Best,<br />
&nbsp;Alexander<br />
&nbsp;</div>

<hr /></div>
Hi,<br />
This sounds very promising. I think you can ask the maintainer of VirtualBo=
x how to proceed with this: vbox@FreeBSD.org. Or is the driver not in the V=
irtualBox source.<br />
See: https://www.freshports.org/emulators/virtualbox-ose/<br />
A possibility is to create a PR in https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/, but =
I'm not authoritative in development of the virtualbox software on FreeBSD.=
 ;-)<br />
Regards,<br />
Ronald.<br />
&nbsp;</body></html>