Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 97 22:38:31 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        mcgovern@spoon.beta.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving CD audio data around with HP 4020i

 >> Now, given these seperate sources, can anyone tell me how to read them
 >> back on to the harddisk, and then to write them back on to a merged
 >> CD?

 > Use DOS and some commercial CDR mastering software. :-(

 > Sorry, but that's the same answer we came up with when we embarked
 > upon this same road here at Walnut Creek CDROM.  Some audio CDs have
 > very short gaps in between songs and this information is destroyed
 > (and a frisbee produced) with any of the UN*X based mastering
 > solutions we tried.  I wish I could remember the name of the DOS
 > software we now use for this now but it totally slips my mind.  DOS,
 > not being multitasking, is actually an ideal platform for a
 > does-it-all CDR software solution since there are no drivers to get in
 > the way nor any competition for the CDR or disk.  A friend from the
 > Linux camp went through this same process and now swears by the DOS
 > solution - he tried all the Linux solutions and they all sucked in the
 > same ways that the *BSD solutions did. :-(

If your CD is audio only (not audio+data) you _can_ burn disks with
arbitrary gap length between tracks, even 0 second gap (useful for
live recordings). I have burned 10s of them, all on FreeBSD :-)
You just need the right program.

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr