Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 15:19:38 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "Javier Henderson" <javier@kjsl.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMTP vs Spam

On Fri, 1 May 1998 22:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Javier Henderson wrote:

>Francisco Reyes writes:
> > My web provider is currently considering blocking SMTP access because
> > their servers have been used for mailing SPAM by non users.

>Look at http://www.sendmail.org/ for instructions on
>how to fight off SPAM attacks on your sendmail-based SMTP server. Also,
>http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ for related info.

> > How about using POP3 to send email? My personal NNTP provider gives
> > me an email account and this is what they use.
>
>You use POP3 to retrieve mail, not to send mail.

I don't know if it is POP3, but the email i am using to reply to you,
and used to send the original question, uses "POP" to send email.
This authenticates the user.

>Your ISP should configure their sendmail (or whatever mailer
>they use) to not accept mail from non-subscribers, instead of cutting
>everyone off. In fact, how do they propose that their customers send
>mail?

After I asked about POP they told me they support it. I changed my
client to send mail through POP with them. For those who don't have
POP on their email clients they simply will not allow email to be
sent through their SMTP server. They are not an ISP; they are a
presence provider (i.e. WEB pages, Email accounts).