Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:37:39 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dev-null@no-id.com
Subject:   Re: Netscape Browser [RANT]

On Sunday 12 August 2001 04:59 am, dev-null@no-id.com wrote:
<SNIP>
>         That's because the original post from the original author mentioned
> how he was having problems with Yahoo! Chat locking up on him.  For the
> uninitiated (which you seem to be one of, my friend, again used loosely),
> it is a Java based multi-user chat program.  And I agree with the person
> that said that if you want to chat to use IRC.  Why?  How many RFCs are
> involved in the design/use of IRC?  Compared to how many involved with the
> use/design of a Java based chatting solution?
> =====
>
> Hello? I was the original author. I know what
> Yahoo! Chat is. I gave it as an example of
> an applet that triggers a problem inherent
> in Netscape itself. How did suggesting to
> use IRC over Yahoo help the discussion
> related to web browser problems? Answer:
> it didn't because it was an intentional
> smartass comment.
>
> Now where the hell does your IRC RFC question
> come into a discussion about web browsers?
> I'm not doing a "Yahoo! Chat vs. IRC" thread.
> What will you suggest next? Comparing apples
> to oranges?

Get the chip off your shoulder! I suggested IRC as an alternative to java
chat because java chat is notorious for crashing ANY browser. Netscape (like
any other browser) does some things very well, java just doesn't happen to be
one of them. Rather than trashing the whole program, just find alternatives
for the features that dont do well. Better yet, why don't you put your time
into fixing some of these problems. I'm sure most of us would use your
solution if it improved the functionality of a program like netscape.

Beech
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510