Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:21:54 -0700
From:      john@ece.arizona.edu (John Galbraith)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new GPIB driver

I have a new GPIB driver that supports National products AT/GPIB and
GPIB/TNT.  I believe it to be significantly better than the one
currently included in FreeBSD-2.2.6 (in /sys/i386/isa/gpib.c).  It
should be a whole lot faster by the use of interrupts and different
polling techniques (which is why I started this in the first place).
My driver is a complete rewrite, with some insight gathered from both
the current FreeBSD driver and the Linux driver.  The Linux driver was
particularly helpful, because National apparently likes to withhold
certain details about their products... (lame)

I would like to contribute my code, but would like some advice on how
to best package it.  It would be nice to have some other folks try it
out first, too.  I still have to package it, though.  I have been
debugging the driver as an lkm, but most drivers that you aren't
actually working on are easier if you just config them in.  It would
seem best to make it work either way.  Second, it exists in multiple
source files right now.  Is it best to consolodate all the source into
one huge file, or leave it as several?  Finally, how would I go about
showing that this code is reliable and is worthy of replacing the
current gpib.c?

I haven't contributed anything before.  It would be useful to me if
somebody more experienced with device drivers than myself would be
willing to look over what I have and make sure that I didn't do
anything particularly stupid.

I do not take this list (should I?) so if you could make sure I am
explicitly included in any replies, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
	John Galbraith