Date:      24 Nov 2002 03:05:03 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        David Smithson <david@customfilmeffects.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network connection dropping during file transfers
References:  <007101c2934a$8bad2b40$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com> <00a101c2934d$bfb43b60$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com> <1038097743.43256.45.camel@localhost> <00bf01c29351$c649baf0$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com> <00dd01c29354$e40c4320$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com> <1038100610.43256.56.camel@localhost> <00fa01c2935a$e4565cc0$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com> <1038104729.43256.96.camel@localhost> <014101c29363$6757d510$0801a8c0@customfilmeffects.com>

Hi David,
   Let me know how you get on with the last email I sent too, okay?

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 02:44, David Smithson wrote:
> Heh.

> still
> transfers.
> you
> > >
> > > The event logs show nothing significant.
> >
> > I'd have to ask for some specifics here - If you mean nothing related
> > the problem domain, then I apologize. But one thing Win2K does a lot of
> > is reports, so please have another look:-)
>
> There is one thing.  A Warning level message received about an hour ago:
>
> MrxSMB -- The redirector failed to determine the connection type.
>
> The warning timestamp doesn't correspond to any of the failures from earlier
> today.
>
> > This all (granted from fuzzy Win2K reporting) that from a loss of
> > connectivity has occured. The trick is if its hardware / media related,
> > or DNS timeout related.
>
> I found a 3C966B that I can use to eliminate the possiblity of NIC failure.
> DNS timeout related?

Yes, it could be depicted in a simpler implementation where you're
trying to browse to a site that takes too long to respond, the calling
end times out, returning something along the lines of "Remote server not
responding" errors from a browser.

> Other interesting tidbits of info to confuse the matter:
>
> DHCP NBT nodetype is set to h-node (hybrid)
> WINS database doesn't show all computers.

WINS is supposed to be able to dynamically update its db where for
instance, a client has moved to another network point -

> Corrupt database?  I would assume
> that if NetBIOS resolution failed for samba, it would look to DNS for
> resolution.

Depends on what modes the clients are configured to use:
Modified B - Use only broadcasts - DNS (default for Win2K not using
WINS)
H Mode - Use WINS only first. Fallback to DNS if WINS fails. Revert to
WINS if available again later
MS Enhanced H - Add LMHOSTS, DNS & host files as fallbacks to WINS

What do you have set in smb.conf here:
# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both;   wins server = w.x.y.z

How is the samba server defined at the WINS & DNS Win2K servers?

You might want to actually turn off WINS at the clients and reconfigure
to use only statically defined entries in /etc/hosts.

Stacey

Stacey Roberts
B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science

Web: www.vickiandstacey.com