Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2000 19:42:51 -0400
From:      "leegold" <leegold@erols.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   domain names

this is a newbie questions of vast proportions:  i managed to get FBSD
installed.

Let me start off by asking about the network setup via the sysinstall
program.  FSBD recognized my nic card, For "host name"  i put in ham_on_rye.
but i was at a loss to know what to put in for "domain name".

BUT WHAT IT IS IS TWO PC'S HOOKED TOGETHER VIA ETHERNET - NOTHING ELSE. WHAT
DOES THAT MEAN RE; A FULLY QUALIFIED DOMAIN NAME? [ sorry for yelling. ]

there's more to this but let's defer additional complications right now.
BTW, i did enter some ip addresses into the two boxes and i can ping and
telnet between them just fine.

Thanks