Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:44:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Enlightenment does not run on a DIGITAL 433au

Hello,

We have installed 4.2 RELEASE on our 433au and up to now everything works
fine. The compilation of enlightenment-0.16.5 went through without any
problems, but if we start enlightenment, nothing happens, aside from the
fact that the box starts swapping very heavily. The output of 'top' gives
a strange result like

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
31797 schreyer   2   0   263M 53816K select   0:03  0.61%  0.59% enlightenment
 3224 root       2   0 12305M  4448K select   0:07  0.00%  0.00% XF86_SVGA

but enlightenment never shows up. By the way, the output of 'top' always
yields that big sizes for XF86_SVGA, even if enlightenment is not there.
Of course 12305M can't be true, but (aside from enlightenment) the system
works fine. Any experiences in this direction?

Jan & Ralph.