Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 16:39:29 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: OPENSSH REMOTE ROOT COMPROMISE ALL VERSIONS

Yes, it does look a bit odd.  There was another posting on bugtraq that says,
-----------------begin quote
As some may have gathered, the advisory recently posted by mmhs@hushmail.com
was indeed a fake, intended to highlight several unclear statements made in
GIS2002062801.

The advisory in question is currently being updated with more detailed
information and will be
re-posted at: http://www.globalintersec.com/adv/openssh-2002062801.txt as
soon as it becomes
available.

Note that the kbd-init flaw described in GIS2002062801 was proven to be
exploitable in our lab
although not all evidence to demonstrate this was provided in the original
advisory. A mistake
was made in the original advisory draft, where chunk content data was
shown, rather than the
entire corrupted malloc chunk. This will be amended in the revision.

Also note that to our knowledge there are currently no known, exploitable
flaws in OpenSSH 3.5p1,
due to its use of PAM as suggested by mmhs@hushmail.com. It is almost
certain that the posted
bogus advisory was also intended to cause alarm amongst communities using
OpenSSH, through
miss-information.

Global InterSec LLC.