Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 20:38:40 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Module parameters?  (WildWire DSL card driver)

Back in July I was asking about the capability to set parameters (variables)
when loading my DSL driver module.  There was a small flurry of activity
about some initial ideas on how to do it, but I never heard any more about
it.  Did you (Mike, Warner, or anybody) have time to work on it?  Did this
capability get put into release 4.1, by any chance?  :)

I'm going to be transitioning from the DSL department here, and so I'd like
to get the FreeBSD flavor of our DSL driver fully working before I leave
DSL land.  Right now the driver basically works, but I have to recompile
it when I want to change options (recall that at the time my attach routine
is called I need to know some parameters, I can't wait for a later ioctl).

If I get the ability to set module parameters, so that the driver will be
useful to people in general, is there anyone out there with DSL service
and a Lucent WildWire card who would like to try out the driver?  The Lucent
WildWire DSL + V.90 modem cards have been shipped in PCs from Compaq, Dell,
Hewlett-Packard, and Samsung (or soon to be from them).  I believe they're
still not yet available by themselves in retail stores - they still only come
from OEMs.  The driver is written for FreeBSD 4.x.  At this point we're still
not releasing any source code (and may never :( ), so that's why you can't just
recompile your own driver with the options you need...

So what's the status of module parameters?
(no longer subscribed to either of these lists, please keep me in the address
 list on all replies)

Thanks,
Gary
 Gary Corcoran - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
Lucent Microelectronics - Client Access Broadband Systems
   Communications Protocol & Driver Development Group
   "We make the drivers that make communications work"
              Email: gcorcoran@lucent.com