Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Chen Xu wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 10:20  AM, Dmitry Agafonov wrote:
> >
> > We have compiled kernels (make buildkernel KERNCONF=LALALA) on one machine,
> >  and then after nfs-mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj to target machine -
> > make installkernel KERNCONF=LALALA
> > This works fine and is very good for poor-cpu/ram machines :)
> >

> > The question still remains - can one build a number of kernels and
> > then install them? This will save some time on updating a number
> > of machines: 3 steps (cvsup'ing and world and kernel(s) building)
> > may be fully automated.
>
> I don't see why you cann't do it for many machines. One can just
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=LALALA
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=ZAZAZA
>
> then nfs mount to each machine to installkernel. Only problem is
> that you have to do `installkernel KERNCONF=$cornel_config`
> on each target boxes, which makes fully auto a problem. \

Why?

        for i in mach1 mach2 mach3 mach4
        do
            ssh $i /root/upgrade.sh
        done

And upgrade.sh contains something like:

        mount -t nfs buildmachine:/usr/src /usr/src
        cd /usr/src
        make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL KODIR=/modules
        umount /usr/src

Of course, it needs a little polish, but you get the idea.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant