Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:23:33 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

In the last episode (Sep 02), John Galt said:
> So why is it still forbidden in a fresh download?  I have my own
> reasons for downloading what I did, but until the un-forbid fix
> propagates, I still stand by my statement: it was once deprecated,
> and there's still a ports tree you can download today wherein you
> can't install lynx, so it is still at least in part deprecated.

It's not a fresh download.  It's a 4.0-RELEASE download, which was
*frozen* as soon as the tag was laid down in March.  You're guaranteed
that every time you download 4.0-RELEASE, you're going to get exactly
the same bits, ports tree and everything.

Take a look at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ .
You'll see a bunch of directories, one for each release.  Each of those
subdirs has a ports/ports.tgz file, which consists of the ports tree at
the time the release was frozen.  You're downloading the ports.tgz for
4.0-RELEASE which is dated March 20.  If you were to download the
3.4-RELEASE boot floppies and install that, you would get a ports tree
from December '99.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com