Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:12:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
Cc:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCVT's death

> > I should hope that pcvt wouldn't die.  There are a number
> > of us who interact with machines that don't know about SCO Ansi
> > or cons25 (including my DEC boxes) and we need something which
> > can do real vt100 compatibility.  I really don't want to have to run
> > screen for this on console screens.
>
> Well why not tell them about cons25 via termcap or terminfo?

Screen size and escape sequence assumptions are hard coded into
much VMS software, including but not limited to the EDT editor
(the standard system editor).  There is specific reliance on having
exactly 24 lines, and there is reliance on scrolling regions working
precisely correctly.

There is also a great deal of hardware and software that depends on
correct functioning of the misnamed "XN"/"AM" attributes (which are
stated to mean that a CR at the end of line is ignored, but which in
reality means the wrap occurs before the 81st character, not after the
80th).

Basically, this means on a VT100, I can write the last character on
the screen without causing a scroll.  The hack for other terminals
involves remembering the 79th character, writing the 80th character
in the 79th column, position to the 79th column, and doing an "insert
char".

Amoung the dependent hardware?  Most protocol converters, such as the
3278 protocol converter from Black Box, Inc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.