Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:54:58 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/116448: devel/dbus intolerent of existing 556 GID

--=-JxZxwQB7bZHq8dzHtJgn

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 06:20 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:55:25PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > > =20
> > >=20
> > > This is disappointing - why must it be 556?  The reason I had it alre=
ady
> > > defined is because the subversion install creates a 'svn' group and
> > > doesn't specify a GID.  To keep this from happening, why cannot we co=
mmit
> > > /usr/ports/GIDs to /usr/src/etc/group to better reserve them?
> >=20
> > I think it was done this way as not all ports committers have src bits.
> > Plus, not everyone installs all ports, so mandating UIDs and GIDs on al=
> > systems might be a waste.  But as I said, you aren't restricted to 556.
> > You can create a messagebus group before installing dbus, and the port
> > will simply use that group with whatever gid you assign it.
>=20
> I'm curious - why doesn't dbus then just use 'pw' to create the group
> with an unspecified GID like the svn port does?  Why was this so
> anonying?  I was trying to build evolution-exchange before going to work
> - and of course the build broke 1/2 thru.  Which I didn't notice until I
> got home.

It seems the way svn does it is wrong.  Since the user is only created
in the Makefile, the svn user would not be created during package
installation.  The code used by dbus was cribbed originally from
mysql-server (not sure if that was cribbed), so many ports use this
method of creating users and groups.  That's not to say it's right, but
it's a fact.

dbus could be modified to create a group with a random GID should 556
already be taken.  Other ports might not be able to do this.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org