Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 14:41:24 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src Makefile src/etc rc src/etc/mtree BSD.usr.dist

S ren Schmidt wrote:
> > <<On Tue, 26 May 1998 13:12:58 -0700 (PDT), S=F8ren Schmidt <sos@Free=
BSD.ORG> =

    said:
> > =

> > >   This will after a make world & reboot give a system that no
> > >   longer uses /usr/lib/*, infact one could remove all the old
> > >   libraries there, they are not used anymore.
> >   =

> > Except for all the inconvenient third-party software...
> =

> Well, there is no real solution for that I'm afraid..
> =

> At runtime shared libs wil be resolved via rtld which knows
> where to look for libs.

Yes, this really isn't a problem..  Both the a.out ld itself and ld.so =

know to look in /usr/lib/aout.  Old programs will still work just as =

before.

The only thing that will have trouble is stuff that wants to do a 'nm /us=
r/
lib/libc.a' to detect if a system has a given function.  In any case, =

programs that do this are pretty limited these days (autoconf tests =

properly, it's only the old metaconfig stuff that is likely to have =

trouble, and even then those config systems allow the location of libc an=
d =

the commands to get the name list to be configured at config time).

> Systems that rely on libs being in /usr/lib via hard path will
> fail, ie Makefiles with a wired in hard path, we can then argue
> to death who is broken...
> =

> Another story is what we are going to do with /usr/local/lib :(

This is true.  It's going to be fun doing plists since ELF and a.out have=
 =

got different versioning strategies..  (elf has a library and a symlink, =

while a.out uses libraries and a combination of ldconfig caching and =

runtime directory scanning)

Cheers,
-Peter
--