Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:37:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA install failure

> - I was unable to select "Busmouse" in the mouse selection menu,
> even though the probe messages included "mse0 at 0x23c irq 5 on isa".
> Another oddness about the mouse selection menu: when I first selected
> it, I could select "PS/2 mosue", but if I then selected COM1 and then
> went back to "PS/2" I couldn't select PS/2 the second time.

I finally found this one!  readlink() doesn't null append its result
(I must have glossed over this the first time I read the man page) so
the previous value, in this case /dev/cuaa0, was simply overlaid.
That explains why the serial devices, with their longer names, were
displayed but not the Bus or PS/2 mice (which have shorter names :).

> - XF86Setup stopped accepting input from the keyboard after I hit enter
> to "dismiss" the info panel about how to set up the mouse.  I couldn't
> figure out what to do so I went to VTY4 and killed XF86Setup.  After that,
> there was nothing running on any other VTY (hitting ctl-alt-F[124] just
> beeped) and X wasn't responding to ctl-alt-BS so I ended up hitting
> reset.

Hmmm.  I can't reproduce this one, but I've heard enough gritching
about various bogons in the new XF86Setup that I'm going to make
the older XF86Config an option as well.

					Jordan