Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 10:09:39 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Jack Rusher <jar@integratus.com>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, "litos2001@libero.it" <litos2001@libero.it>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startup scripts a la NetBSD

In message <3AC4B808.9EB5806B@integratus.com>, Jack Rusher writes:
> Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> >
> > pretty arbitrary to do.  It shouldn't take more than a few hours to get
> > the basics going.  The specifics get a bit more difficult, and it's
> > quite a bit of manual work to get it to actually boot somewhat cleanly.
>
>   It seems like a nit picky job, but not an overly difficult one.  Do we
> know that people want this?  Someone suggested a more SYSV like startup
> system as a port, which sounds much harder to me.

I'll fess up.  I suggested the SYSV-like startup.  I think it would be
a great bonus to be compatible with much of the rest of the UNIX world.
 I would think that we should eventually want to have a SYSV style
init, and ultimately a kernel with SYSV-style signal handling.  We
should pick away at it until we reach the ultimate goal.

Becoming more SYSV-like is not something most people in FreeBSD are
enamoured with.  Hence I don't think it would be possible to implement
all the changes I would like to see.

Regarding the SYSV style init.  The port would copy our init into its
work directory, patch it build it, rename init to init.FreeBSD, then
install the SYSV init into its place.  Eventually I would see the SYSV
part of init become #ifdefs in the FreeBSD init or a flag to be passed
to init at boot.  Given that one could implement any style of init
using a SYSV style of init, e.g. if you want to use rc.local or rc3.d,
just code it in inittab.  I think this is a more flexible and
compatible (with everyone else) solution without really sacrificing any
capabilities we have now.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC