Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:51:26 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, nate@trout.sri.mt.net, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

<<On Wed, 22 Feb 1995 16:36:42 -0800 (PST), Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com> said:

> 2) Programs which are not part of FreeBSD can use just what they feel like,
> it's entirely their own problem.

> Can anybody explain what the problem is with this ?

There are four sets of interesting programs:

1) Programs which are not a part of FreeBSD and do not use bsd.*.mk.
When compiling, they should use the header files in /usr/include, and
/usr/include/{sys,netinet,net,nfs,netiso,netccitt,machine} should
point to the appropriate directories in the kernel source tree.

2) Programs which are not a part of FreeBSD and DO use bsd.*.mk.  When
compiling, they should use exactly the same header files and libraries
as programs in set (1).

3) Programs which are a part of FreeBSD, but are being compiled
outside of the source tree (perhaps the user doesn't have all the
sources).  When compiling, they should use exactly the same header
files and libraries as programs in set (1).

4) Programs which are a part of FreeBSD, and are being compiled as a
part of `make all' from the top level.  When compiling, they should
use the previously-built header files and libraries.  Note that this
means it is no longer acceptable to put SUBDIRs in alphabetical order;
instead, they must be topologically sorted.  There are probably loops
which will need to be broken (that's what the `tools' target does).

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.