Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 01:18:10 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   receiving mail directly

Hi.

Here's a bunch of questions about my mail and how I'd like to receive it.

I have a permanent connection to my ISP via ADSL.  At present, all mail
for my domains is delivered direct to my ISP.  I then download it with an
email client.  One problem I have with my email is spam to old addresses
which I no longer use but are part of my domain (eg. xyz@mydomain.com).

I have two domains.  The mail for one (dvl.co.nz) gets sent to one of my
ISPs.  My other domain (dvl-software.com) is a virtual domain handled by
my web site host.  Mail sent to that domain is controlled by a .redirect
file on my virtual machine at that host (I don't fully understand how it
works; I just know how to add entries to the .redirect file to forward
mail from spot to spot).

What I would like to do is exercise more control over the current
situation. Specifically, I'd like mail sent to dan@dvl.co.nz to be bounced
back to the sender, never to be seen my me again.  Similary, mail to
dan.langille@dvl-software.com, I'd like to let through.

I've read the stuff in the handbook (17.3.3. How can I do E-Mail with a
dialup PPP host?
http://www.au.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/handbook/handbook253.html#497) and that
solution seems to apply to me.  That is, make my ISP a secondary server to
myself.

Does this make sense?

Sendmail is up and running on my machine.  Mail sent to my freebsd box
gets out into the realworld.  I'm guessing that what I need to do is
install procmail, which is a local mail delivery agent.  Is that correct?

How does procmail (incoming?) differ from sendmail (outgoing)?

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited