Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL and IDEA.

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, David Malone wrote:

> I notice that the IDEA code in OpenSSL is in the Attic and not in
> the regular source tree. I know that OpenSSL is compiled with
> something like -DNO_IDEA by default, but that doesn't mean IDEA
> shouldn't be in the source tree for people who can use it. Would
> it be possible to get idea reinstated and make it's compilation
> a documented knob?
>
> (According to Applied Cryptography, IDEA is free for non-comercial
> use. As the source code is being distributed via cvs anyway, I
> can't see a reason why it isn't being included in any of the
> branches.)

I was under the impression it was restricted (patented) in the US and in
some parts of europe - not having a clearer idea about where it was safe
to use, I thought it better not to include it at all. If you can point me
to something which explains where it's restricted and not, and under what
terms, I'd be most appreciative :)

Kris

----