Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:55:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Tony Wells <tony@camel.kdsi.net>
Cc:        Duncan Sayers <duncan@apdata.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: backup server

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Tony Wells wrote:

> Jim Durham wrote:
> > > --
> >
> > I wasn't familiar with it, but I found it in ports and read the
> > package description. Sounds interesting, but if it is a cousin
> > of rcp, it's probably unsafe in a secure environment as you would
> > have to run portmap and rstatd. I'd feel better if it were using
> > scp instead of rcp 8-) .
>
> It will connect over several different protocols, one of which is ssh.
> We use it over ssh and it works great.
>

> > -Jim

I decided to install rsync, and after reading the man page, it
mentioned that it now supported ssh. It didn't say this in the
package description.

I had an 8 gig partition to copy, so I decided to give it
a "baptism of fire". It worked OK, sorta. I saw some long
pauses during the copy and it never exited at the end, although
it did appear to copy everything.

Another thing I noticed is that the man page indicates that -a is
equivilent to -rptfgoD .  I noticed that this copies everything that
the sym links are pointing to. Reading the man page, it seems like
it would not do this unless you gave it the -L argument.

So, have you played with this and how *do* you get it to make
sym links, but not copy what they point to? Am I reading -L
backwards?

-Jim