Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 07:54:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BASH prompt question

In a previous message, William Woods said:
> I would like to make my bash prompt show a little more info, like what dir the
> user is in. How would I do this?

from man bash:
              \t     the current time in HH:MM:SS format
              \d     the date  in  "Weekday  Month  Date"  format
                     (e.g., "Tue May 26")
              \n     newline
              \s     the  name  of  the shell, the basename of $0
                     (the portion following the final slash)
              \w     the current working directory
              \W     the basename of the current  working  direc-
                     tory
              \u     the username of the current user
              \h     the hostname
              \#     the command number of this command
              \!     the history number of this command
              \$     if  the effective UID is 0, a #, otherwise a
                     $
              \nnn   the character  corresponding  to  the  octal
                     number nnn
              \\     a backslash
              \[     begin a sequence of non-printing characters,
                     which could be used to embed a terminal con-
                     trol sequence into the prompt
              \]     end a sequence of non-printing characters

--
The best cure for insomnia is to get a  lot  of sleep.
                -- W. C. Fields