Date:      Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:24:19 -0700
From:      ericr <ericr@clue.com>
To:        "Jason Sheets" <shadowalker@rmci.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

:  I recently recommended FreeBSD to a friend who was interested in joining the
:  *NIX world.
:
:  He had never used either Linux or any other form of *nix but went ahead and
:  bought the set from WC and read the handbook.
:
:  He was able to get it to install correctly the first time without difficulty
:  but had hardware problems that prevented some things from working.
:
:  I myself enjoyed a painless (almost) first install of FreeBSD but even if it
:  wasn't I'd still use it.
:
:  I started on Linux (RedHat, then Slackware, then SuSE and back to Slackware)
:  but never could find the right distro for me.
:
:  FreeBSD was a perfect fit from the moment I installed it.
:
:  One thing that Slackware does have that could really help users is an
:  official forum where questions can be posted.
:
:  It is an efficient way for everyone to ask questions and quickly get them
:  answered.

Uh, there's freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, there's the newsgroup(s)
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.*, there's the bug database (ok, you can't ask
questions of it, but you can search for similar problems and see if
you've found a bug), and probably several other pretty official ways
to ask questions. the first two have usually taken care of my issues,
although not always the way I might have liked. ;-)

ericr