Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 19:59:20 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        John Eide <johne@teleport.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

> I am trying to get pppd working with FreeBSD v2.0.  I am able to get the connection with the host system using kermit and exit kermit with the line still active, however, whenever I go to enable pppd with the command line:
> pppd /dev/ttyd1 19200

> I get the following message:
> Sorry - PPP is unavailable on this system.
>
> I have the /etc/ppp/options file configured correctly for the type of connectionI am using, and am using the generic kernel.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, try hitting return when your cursor gets close to the end
of  the screen.  If you're screen is larger than 80 chars wide, make
sure you hit a return before the end so that everyone can read it. :)

Second of all, you'll need to build a custom kernel that contains the
PPP devices.  Start with the GENERIC kernel and add a line similar to
this:

pseudo-device   ppp     1

to your kernel config file.  Build and install a new kernel and all will
be well.

Nate