Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 23:21:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, tom@sdf.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, root@friday.keanesea.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What is the best way to setup a drive

> But how would you mount your filesystems at boot time?

Long answer:

The device probe will call devfs_register_dev() on the device.

The devfs_register_dev() will look for physical-to-logical and
logical-to-logical device translations... like a DOS partition
table or a BSD disklabel.  When a translation is found, then
devfs_register_dev() will call devfs_claim_logical_dev() on
the logical area, calling into the *-to-logical driver.

The physical-to-logical and logical-to-logical device drivers
will call devfs_register_dev() on each one of the sub devices.

When no physical-to-logical or logical-to-logical device drivers
claim a given device (ie: it is a terminal device), then the
devfs_register_dev() (which has not yet returned) will call
devfs_mount_dev().

The devfs_mount_dev() will call each file systems xxx_mount()
as if it were mounting a root volume to establish a vnode for
the root of the file system.

Mounts will be inserted into the fs hierarchy post-facto by
mount-point mapping of the vnodes according to the content of
the fstab.

Short answer:	easily

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org