Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:40:02 -0800
From:      Jon Simola <jon@abccomm.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em devices not sending proper arp packets ...

On 11/14/05, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> There is a problem with the latest 4-STABLE where when you move an IP fro=
> one server on the network to a new one, a proper arp packet isn't being
> sent upstream, so the router isn't getting the change ...

> Does anyone have a 'work around' for this?

arp -s 10.0.2.3 00:00:10:20:30:45 pub

On the "old" owner of the ip address, publish the MAC of the new owner
(10.0.2.3 being the ip that was moved, 00:00:10:20:30:45 being the new
MAC). I do this all the time as someone set this stupid Cisco switch
up with a 2 hour ARP cache and I can't change/disable it.

Once you verify that the router gets updated, delete the published arp entr=
y.

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator