Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:13:36 -0700
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Diagnosing slow Ethernet transfers on 2.2.8

I'm looking for suggestions on diagnosing slow network
transfers into/out of my FreeBSD 2.2.8 machine.  This is
a Celeron 300A (with cache) with 256 MB RAM, 8 GB Ultra
DMA drive, 4.5 GB Ultra SCSI drive connected to an
Adaptec 2940U, and a generic NE2000 clone ISA card. It's
running as a web server and supports anonymous FTP.

The reason I'm concerned about my transfer speed is that
the machine is supposed to be sitting on a 10 MB connection
into a bank of routers connected to 4 DS-3's, but I'm not
able to transfer more than about 1.2 Mbits/second.  Even
with the el-cheapo NIC I'd expect to be able to move at
least 4-5 Mbits/sec.

I'd like to determine whether the bandwidth limit is
occuring on my side (due to bad kernel build, bad
hardware, or whatever) or whether my ISP is throttling
my bandwidth below the 10 Mbits I'm supposed to be
getting.  I haven't seen any really unexpected numbers
in vmtat, systat, or iostat (at least, not unexpected
to my untrained eye).

Any pointers on tests to run/things to look at?

Dan Mahoney
dan@wolf.com