Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:37:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        aa8vb@ipass.net (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt848 corruption since upgrading to 3.1. Has DMA code changed?

Randall Hopper wrote:
> As it turns out, this has all come up and been discussed before.  Due to
> the absense of progressive occlusion events and the asynchronous nature of
> X, this isn't practical.
>
> Rather than re-evolve all this, here are a few -multimedia snippets circa
> 4/20/98.

[ ... deleted quoted text ... ]

Thanks, however I understand the problem and I have an application here
that works. If fxtv can handle the popping up of the file menu and handle
the transition from direct video to XImage updates (which involves
restarting the capture) without the dma clobbering the file menu, then
it can be made to handle clipping IMHO.

I tried keeping an up-to-date child-of-root-window stack by just
processing events from the root window. There seems to be some missing
event information around the time when the window manager re-parents
the top level window. Since direct video requires a local X server,
I found that querying the window tree (when the application sees an
event which possibly affects stacking or occlusion) is quick enough
to work out the clip array and restart the video capture with that.
The forced refresh by mapping and unmapping a window over the top still
seems to be required because I can't find a way of getting the capture
to stop before the X server copies the area to the relocated window.

FWIW, fxtv renders X unusable on my system in full PAL size when I
pop up the file menu and the application changes to XImage mode. If
I halve the size, then I can actually get to the quit button.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137