Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:56:25 -0500
From:      Stephen Bader <sbader@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Western Digital 1TB My Book Studio

I am trying to connect a Western Digital 1TB My Book Studio to my
FreeBSD 6.2-Stable box via Firewire 400 without much luck.

When I connect the drive via USB, it works just fine. When I connect
via Firewire 400, the drive is detected, but never becomes available
via da0. Below is the output with debug.firewire_debug=1. I have
connected other Firewire 400 devices to this machine without a
problem. I also updated the firmware on this drive to verify that is
not the cause of the problem.

I should note that this drive does not actually have any Firewire 400
ports on it, but instead came with a cable that is Firewire 800 on one
side (which connects to the drive), and Firewire 400 on the other. The
drive does support Firewire 400 though, and I have confirmed this by
connecting it to a Firewire 400 port on my Mac.

Can someone point me in the right direction to begin troubleshooting
this? I am actually considering buying a PCI Firewire 800 card for
this box so I can get more speed, but I want to make sure it will work
first.

Thanks,

-Steve

fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0x8800ffc0, gen=2, non CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 0 (me)
fwohci0: fw_set_bus_manager: 0->0 (loop=0)
firewire0: root node is not cycle master capable
firewire0: bus manager 0 (me)
send phy_config root_node=0 gap_count=5
fwohci0: start AT DMA status=11
fwohci0: too many cycle lost, no cycle master presents?
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
bus_explore done
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc800ffc1, gen=3, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
fwohci0: fw_set_bus_manager: 1->1 (loop=0)
firewire0: bus manager 1 (me)
send phy_config root_node=1 gap_count=5
fwohci0: start AT DMA status=14
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
fwohci0: txd err=14 ack busy_X
fw_explore: node 2, err = -1
bus_explore done
fwohci0: BUS reset
fwohci0: node_id=0xc800ffc1, gen=4, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire0: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1, cable IRM = 1 (me)
fwohci0: fw_set_bus_manager: 1->1 (loop=0)
firewire0: bus manager 1 (me)
send phy_config root_node=1 gap_count=5
fwohci0: start AT DMA status=14
firewire0: New S400 device ID:0090a9341b93f349
fw_explore: node 2, err = 0
bus_explore done
fwohci0: maxdesc: 3
sbp0:0:0 request timeout(mgm orb:0x12d1901c) ... reset start