Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:31:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller@gmx.net>
Cc:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stripe and mirror on the same disks

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, sebastian ssmoller wrote:

> i have only read some doc about geom and i wonder if this setup would be
> possible with it ?
> geom_stripe, geom_concat (and possible geom_mirror) are based on disks
> (not slices) as far as i understand ? if so, how could i use both
> geom classes / tools for the same physical disks ?

If your are using GEOM you can stack the modules as you like.  geom_mirror
doesn't care if the provider below is an MBR slice or a BSD partition.

So, you can partition the disk and then mirror the results, or you mirror
the disks and then partition as you like it.

> how does geom_vinum fit into this situation ?

I plan to have geom_vinum as a true drop-in replacement, so any
combination of current vinum volumes should be supported, too.

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073