Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:51:11 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Chris <devnullaccount@yahoo.se>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wifi for Lenovo Laptop

On Aug 29, 2012 8:44 AM, "Chris" <devnullaccount@yahoo.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I've tried to search the lists but can't find anything, but please point
me to an existing resource if available.

> I recently got a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 (3259-9VG) laptop and would
like to get the Wifi card running (fresh FreeBSD 9.0 install), but I'm
failling as it has been at least 5 years since I used with wifi under
FreeBSD. The card is not automatically detected (interface not listed in
ifconfig) so I'm assuming I have to either load a kernel module or go the
NDIS path. It seems like on Windows, the same driver is used for E430,
E435, E530 and E535, so in case anyone is using one of these models, please
let me know if have things running.

> So some questions that might point me in the right direction:
>
> - How can I find out which type of card this laptop actually has (can I
read it out of dmesg, some PCI listing or whatever)?
>   All I can find are product sheets saying that it has 11b/g/n, but
doesn't help me to find a driver. I
>   Is there some "meta-module" that loads all the native wifi drivers that
I can use that I can test?
> - If I need to use NDIS emulation, does anyone think it will work for
this model/card? Windows drivers can be found here
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/default.page).
>   The handbook (
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html#CONFIG-NETWORK-NDIS)
says I need Win XP drivers, is that old text or do I need that? I can't
find XP drivers on the lenovo page...
> - If NDIS should be possible, how do I extract the .sys and .inf file
from the exe that I downloaded from the URL above (I don't have any Windows
machine right now).

> TIA,
>   Chris

hi, you can usually find "replacement wifi cards" for your model on ebay,
this can give you an idea of the chipset.

also, you could always pull off the panel and look at the card.

ndis can be tricky because it needs an "older" 32 bit driver, and you need
to run a 32 bit version of FreeBSD.

a good solution is to find a ralink or atheros card on ebay and swap it
out, usually will cost less than 10 bucks USD.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA