Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2015 23:08:48 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1429418881.347c7b@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tracing emails with sendmail

<david+dated+1429418881.347c7b@skytracker.ca> wrote:
>=20
> All of a sudden I am getting a ton of spam being relayed through =
sendmail.
> I have around 40 legitimate users on the system - even though I have =
increased=20
> sendmail's log level to 15 - I cannot see - who is being authorized to =
relay=20
> through my server.  It gives the sender name as an eail address, =
unknown to me.
>=20
> I am guessing that one of my users has had their passowrd stolen. Is =
there s
> specific log level that tells which username is being given =
authorization
> to relay?
>=20
> Any pointers would be helpful.

I have this happen occasionally.  The way I trace it down is based on =
the propensity of spammers to send a lot of spam to invalid addresses.  =
This results in a buildup of the mail queue.  Check the mail queue and =
find one of the spam messages.  Then get the message id from it and look =
in maillog.  That will give you the sendmail pid and searching on that =
in maillog will give you the auth message info.  Often I start getting a =
bunch of bounced emails from AOL addresses and that speeds up the =
process a lot.