Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:55:53 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        crossd@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, viren@rstcorp.com
Subject:   re: error: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

>total, fits nicely as a bitmask).  The code then does a logical and with the
>configured IRQ (that was supplied either via config(8) or '-c'), if the result
>is true then it assigns the IRQ as specified, if false then it gives you that
>error.

Actually, if false it gives you that warning and then assigns the IRQ as
specified (unless there was a more serious error).  The specified IRQ
is unlikely to work if this warning is printed, but always setting it
gives you control.

In 2.2.7, this error was fatal and that was important for preventing IRQ
conflicts for misconfigured kernels (ones that don't specify _all_ the
serial ports with their correct IRQs).  Now the probe believes the
configuration but prints the warning to help debug misconfigurations.
Booting in verbose mode gives more details.

>I did not dig through the code enough to notice if it traps ALL irqs during
>this test, or just the un-assigned ones.  If it only traps unassigned ones check
>dmesg output for things prior to sio that are bound to IRQ 5.

It checks all IRQs without trapping, but the check (and normal operation)
may be broken by almost any device physically bound to the same irq,
independently of the probe order (exception: sio devices on the same
irq but not yet probed are specially handled so that they don't interfere
with previous probes).

Bruce