Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:22:43 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comments on Athlon XP configuration

On Wednesday,  6 March 2002 at  6:50:44 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2002-Mar-05 22:15:01 +1100, Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> Abit KG7 motherboard
>>
>> Keep in mind that this board has a VIA 686b Northbridge, which has been a
>                                              ^^^^^ south
>> source of headaches (supposedly worked around...).
>
> The only problems I'm aware of (IDE corruption) have been in conjunction
> with the with the KT133A.  I don't know of any problems when used with
> the AMD761 northbridge.

I'm using a system with a 686B, running -CURRENT.  I had a lot of
trouble running 4.x, but -CURRENT's fine.  I still can't get
4.5-RELEASE to install on another AMD MB, though NetBSD and OpenBSD
run fine.  OpenBSD reports the southbridge as

  pchb1 at pci0 dev 7 function 4 "VIA VT82C686 SMBus" rev 0x40

It's not clear whether it distinguishes the 686 and the 686B.  The
motherboard was built last August.

Greg