Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:16:40 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        current@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   "make release" testers wanted for Doc. Proj.

Folks,

If you're used to running "make release" I'd appreciate you trying the
following and letting me know what happens. This is so that I can check
that the DocBook version of the Handbook is being installed correctly.

After checking out the most recent version of doc-all, please do the
following;

  1. Install the textproc/docproj port. This is a meta port which pulls
     in a few others. You do *not* need the TeX installation with this
     (not including it is the default, so you don't need to do anything
     out of the ordinary).

  2. Make sure /usr/doc/ is up to date (or wherever you store a
     checked out copy of the doc-all repository). Specifically,
     the doc/Makefile should contain a LANGSUBDIR variable which
     *includes* the "en" directory.

     doc/en/handbook/Makefile should include a DISTRIBUTION variable.
     If either of these is missing then you're not up to date.

  3. Edit doc/Makefile, and change the SUBDIR line from

         SUBDIR= FAQ handbook

         SUBDIR= FAQ

  4. Edit the doc.1 target in /usr/src/release/Makefile. Add "DOC_LANG=en"
     to the "make all distribute" call.

  5. Run "make release" as normal.

  6. Check that ..../trees/doc/usr/share/doc/handbook/ is populated by
     HTML files.

  7. If you want to generate a plain text version of the Handbook as well,
     at step 4 above add "FORMATS= html-split txt" to the "make" line too.

If that works flawlessly then great, I'm a step closer to the cut-over.
If it doesn't, please let me know what went wrong.

Thanks,

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole