Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 18:38:46 -0500
From:      benjamin@cactus.org
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Blocking N consecutive packets with netgraph

I need to test a multicast streaming media application by selectively
dropping packets in the network connecting the source to the viewer.

The capability I need is to drop N consecutive packets, where N ranges
from 1 to 50 and is chosen via the command line.

I had hoped to do this with dummynet and ipfw, but apparently I can
only drop packets with a specified probablity.  The network topology
for this method was to bridge two ethernet nics, then use dummynet pipes
to vary the bandwith and packet loss rate.

I also tested a method using ipfw to temporarily enable packet block
rules using a short sleep interval, but there was only very coarse
control of the number of packets blocked.

Is it feasible to do this with netgraph?  Please outline how this may
be accomplihsed.

TIA

Tom Benjamin