Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 22:33:58 -0400
From:      Barry Kirchgessner <barrykk@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Newbie can't get past "boot:" prompt on new machine

If anyone could help here, I would appreciate it.

I purchased the shrink-wrapped FreeBSD 4.0 book/CDs a few months back,
and am now trying to install it. I will give such info on my problem as
I believe might be relevant, but I can't type everything here, so let me
know what more might be needed.

After being told by the Installation program that everything is a
success, I exit, remove the CD, and the system goes to a point where I
get a "No /boot/loader" message and a "boot:" prompt. Nothing I type
there works, most things return a "No " in front of what I typed echoed
back. The default offered by the system is: "0:ad(0,a)/kernel", and
typing that again returns "No /kernel". I typed everything that looked
potentially useful in the "boot" man page.

I have tried to reinstall several times. Once I got "Missing Operating
System", and discovered that FreeBSD was ignoring the info in the MB
BIOS. So I straightened out the Geometry (it really should tell you what
it's doing there, instead of relying on you to hit "G" and check for
yourself), but I get a system again that goes to the "boot:" prompt and
no further.

The hardware configuration starts with 8 conflicts. My NIC and SCSI card
are not there by name, so I remove all listed cards from the top of the
screen. (Nothing's connected to the SCSI now; in a few days there will
be HD inside and a tape drive and scanner externally connected.)

Hardware:
The motherboard is the Tyan S1598 Trinity 100; carries an AMD K6-2 500
chip
The SCSI card is a Kouwell 9100U with an Initio INIC-940P chip (again,
presently    not connected to anything)
The NIC is a D-Link DFE-530TX+
   (its chip is labeled DL10038 though elsewhere it is described as
being
   the Realtec RTL8139B [http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html])
An Intel i740 AGP video board
No sound board
IBM UltraStar 4.56GB SCSI hard drive, model 9ES DDRS-34560 (not yet
attached)
IBM DeskStar 46.11GB EIDE UltraATA/100 hard drive, model 75GXP
DTLA-307045
IBM DeskStar 34.21GB EIDE UltraATA/66 hard drive, model 34GXP
DPTA-373420
ACER 16X x 40X ATAPI DVD driver
ACER 10X x 4X x 32X ATAPI CD-rewriter drive
Mitsumi 1.44 floppy

I'm waiting on an adapter to run the 68-pin SCSI drive on a 50 pin
cable, and I'm impatient to get the box working, even if it means
installing from scratch again in a week.

In the hardware configuration screen I had 8 conflicts. After removing
all SCSI and NIC entries from the top of the screen, I had none left. I
also removed the "PC-card controller" from the Miscellaneous category.

I have installed several times. I tried "dangerously dedicated" first:
this machine is to be an always-on file and print (and scan and backup)
server, and I do not want more than one OS on it. But I have also tried
with the standard MBR and a free slice where a boot manager could go.

I set 2 partitions on drive 0, "/"(120MB) and "/usr" (all the rest). on
drive 1 is a swap partition and a file system I'm calling "/CDs", for
now.

I selected ALL packages for installation at the first screen that asks
about what to install (/bin & so on). I have selected from the later,
optional packages (offered after X11 configuration) some times, but as
this ain't working I've skipped that part in later tries.

At first I tried to fathom the "leaf-node" and NFS questions, but on
later tries, I've just selected "No" for most of these. (I'm just
learning what "recompile the kernel" and "file system" mean, so it's a
bit disconcerting to be asked questions at this stage of installation
phrased in a highly technical fashion, and without the promised "F1"
help.)

Anyway, I'm new to Unix (I have, however, installed Linux on a laptop
with success), though I have some DOS, Windows, and OS/2 experience. So
I'm not sure if this boot prompt is to be got past by typing something
at it (I doubt it, the texts lead me to believe I should be getting to a
login prompt automatically, the bootstrapper appears to be not finding
something it needs -- program called "loader"?), or if I should hit the
'ol "any" key while booting from the CD, get to the command line and do
something -- but what?

The BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM, C, A.
The IDE drives are all attached to the motherboard, hard drives on
primary, CD-ROMs on secondary. A Promise ATA100 PCI board might be added
later, but the hardware that's not working is enough for now. :)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance; sorry for the long post, but I hope to avoid an extra
round of diagnostic questions if I can.

   --Barry