Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 21:39:44 +0200
From:      "Cole" <cole@opteqint.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Pthread_create and memory issues.

Hi

Ok this is just a more direct question that the thread Memory Leak.

I have a program using pthread_create, and it runs fine, no compile errors
or warnings, it all works fine, not a single issue, but it very very slowly
uses up memory. The program creates a fixed number of threads, and after
each one has run to completion it stores them for a while for use again if
needed soon, else it destroys them after a specified amount of time.

Now i have tried to use ElectricFence to try track down the program, and it
created cores all pointing round about to pthread_create.  So then i tried
to use mpatrol, and it either doesnt even crash, or cause errors, or it
creates a core file that is so large with so many instructions, that is well
over 1000 instruction calls, but as far as i can see they both seem to be
pointing to pthread_create.  With mpatrol i set MPATROL_OPTIONS=LEAKTABLE,
but it never produces any output and crashes before i can even test the
program. It also uses up close to 100% of the cpu before crashing.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any other memory debugging
program suggestions, or has had any issues with pthread_create.

If you want i can post the code or at the very least my pthread_create call.

Thanks
/Cole