Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:04:13 -0700
From:      Russell Jackson <rjackson@cs.csubak.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is the STABLE branch not so stable anymore?

Mixtim wrote:

> Several times in the last few weeks people have broken the STABLE branch,
> sometimes for days at a time. Why has this started happening? Is there no
> process to prevent this from happening?
>
> I have a wild idea. How about making everyone who commits to the STABLE
> branch actually:
>
>   1. Checkout a clean copy.
>   2. make buildworld.
>   3. Actually test the programs they changed.
>
> These three steps would have prevented each of the problems in the last few
> weeks. Does no one test anymore? Is no one required to test?
>
> Perhaps a process should be put into place. (unless there already is one in
> which case someone should start cracking the whip over some backs).

Sorry about the previous reply.

I can understand. I cvsup'ed yesterday only to find that ipfilter was
broken due to having it it moved out of the base os tree and into
contrib. I tried fixing this by modifying the source to use the header
files in the local ipfilter directory rather than /usr/include/netinet,
but then I recieved a new set of undefined symbol errors with kmemstat
among others (perhaps we need to build the new kernel first?). Today I
cvsup'ed yet again only to find that perl won't build either now. What's
going on here? I know I'm not the only one with this build problem. I've
seen numerious posts about this: ipfilter, ipmon.c, etc. I've yet to see
a good answer.