Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 23:40:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, julian@ref.tfs.com, jc@irbs.com, current@FreeBSD.org, FAQ@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 update

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, -Vince- wrote:

> > > Not really.
> > >
> > > What we have *now* is:
> > >
> > > * 2.1-STABLE will become 2.1-RELEASE
> > > * 2.2-CURRENT aka "the Bleeding Edge(tm)".
> >
> > 	Yes, but won't people in 2.1-RELEASE when it comes out be supping
> > -CURRENT once again?
> >
> > > What we will [probably] have is
> > >
> > > * 2.2-CURRENT become 2.2-STABLE after 2.1-RELEASE is out. It is intended to
> > >   be 2.2-RELEASE one day.
> > >
> > > When 2.2-STABLE begins its life, 2.3-CURRENT will begin and so on.
> > >
> > > Note as I'm   not part of   the core team  so what   is above  are only  my
> > > thoughts, they may want to change the numbers :-)
> >
> > 	Oh okay, it seems like everyone has a different way of explaining
> > this =)
>
> Maybe that's right, but it's not what I understood to be true.  Understand
> that this stuff is not written in stone, there are no contracts forcing
> things to happen in any particular manner, but I had the understanding
> that we were going to be doing a dual-track thing.  The even numbered
> releases were to be ones that would concentrate on stability, and so the
> possibility of these being late would be kinda high.  Balancing this out
> would be the odd numbered releases, which would satisfy those (like me)
> that wanted more frequent releases.  The combination, it was to be hoped,
> might possibly satisfy those of both camps.  Using this thinking, there
> will not be a 2.2 stable, just a 2.2 RELEASE, and the next stable target,
> for those using FreeBSD for more than a hobby, would be 2.4.

	Hmmm, but if -stable is turned to RELEASE, what happens to the
next stable?  Is it just based on the on-going -CURRENT release after the
RELEASE?  I'm just confused =)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan Fan Club Mailiing Lists Admin